RFI

[RFI] FCC Class A& B Regs/ was: Low Voltage Patio Lights

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] FCC Class A& B Regs/ was: Low Voltage Patio Lights
From: Robertson <digital-conjurers@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:08:35 -0700
 From the ARRL Website:

"In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission sets limits on
the amount of radio noise which switching devices and other electronic
equipment can inject into the power conductors of a residence or an
industrial facility. Part 15 of the FCC Rules provides for two classes of
protection from radio noise generated by such devices. Devices in the Class
A category have limits intended to satisfy the needs of industrial
facilities where significant amounts of radio noise can be tolerated.
Devices in the Class B category have a stricter limit to meet the needs of
residential areas where the density of radio and television receivers is
high. All electronic devices marketed in the United States must be tested
for compliance with the noise limits contained in the FCC Rules, and each
item must have a label indicating it meets the requirements of its category. "

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/power_line_handbook/ExternalNoiseHandbook.pdf

Now, it seems pretty clear that the FCC just isn't doing it's enforcement
role set forth here; I just had a similar run-in with a neighbor who was
running one of these unlabelled mini-horrors, and I had to quote this
chapter and verse above to the owner (a home-improvement toy-boy) before
he'd even come close to seeing that there was a problem at all. ("AM radio
interference? Why, no-one listens to AM radio anymore!  Besides, if it were
illegal, they wouldn't sell these things!") <sigh>

In short, the "General Pooblic" has NO idea of what they're buying or it's
effect on radio interference, etc.  They just want a nice track light set,
or a patio lite set, etc. So it's up to the government to enforce these
regs, police the marketplace, and make sure these pieces of cheap Chinese
(usually) junk don't make it onto the marketplace.

Purchasing Agents and Buyers of large and small retail chains that supply
these things need to be educated too, and THAT'S not happening either.

Well, with certain quarters always screaming "Get the government off
industry's back," it might not, until the interference stops someone's
pacemaker, kidney machine, etc, and someone drops dead.  That's usually
what it takes, unfortunately.

Goodby Ham Radio?  Hey, goodbye LW to UHF!  Some of these things scream
S9+40 all over the spectrum!!

The ARRL needs to head a charge into this problem, _now_, and not present
it as just a Ham Radio problem.

The horse is out of the barn, but maybe we can get him back in...

-Lin/KJ6EF