RFI

Re: [RFI] 20M Heterodyne

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 20M Heterodyne
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:27:09 -0700
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:06:11 -0400, David C. Hallam wrote:

>Is it my receiver or is there a heterodyne of some sort on 20M?

I'm a CW guy, so I know the products that show up in the CW bands.
Do you also hear it around 14,029-14,030?  Around 21,052? Those are
common mode radiation of products of a wired Ethernet system. There
are also some on 30M, and the bottom of 10M and 6M. They can be
attenuated by winding multiple turns of the Ethernet cable around a
toroid core to form a common mode choke. You need to use a number of
turns that places the broad resonance of the choke in the frequency
spectrum where you're bothered by the interference. For cables
longer than a quarter wave, you may need a choke on both ends.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf for measured data on
toroidal chokes that will fit this need. They will, of course, work
for other common mode sources as well.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC