RFI

Re: [RFI] DTV and Powerline RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DTV and Powerline RFI
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:46:03 -0600
My first attempt at posting this was likely sent astray.
-----
As the majority of DTV are on UHF (or high-VHF) the effects of any line
noise RFI ought to be much less than what the low-VHF NTSC suffered.
Much the same can be said for the effects of r.f. front-end overload
(or even harmonics, however generated) from h.f. operations.

Now UHF (432) effects can come into play.  My 50-w on that band to an
11-el Yagi a few feet above a CM-4228 (8-bay UHF TV antenna) will cause
freezing on some of our local UHF DTV signals, but this is an extreme
case of the antennas being in very close proximity.

This was using a CECB, so even that may vary with the model or if an
actual ATSC set were being used.

http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/dtv-capt.htm
After 50+ years of NTSC TV-DXing it is weird to see these without any
snow and ghosting!  OTOH, our 50-mi-away NTSC Ch 2 has been getting
"DTV snow" QRM during Es events over the past several years from the
stations in Rapid City, Las Vegas, et al.  (It's relocating to DTV 5
where Es effects will be less though there will still be non-US NTSC
signals, mostly from Mexico, to contend with as well as a few US ATSC.)
http://home.swbell.net/pjdyer/fred-2.htm  for a long saga on them

73, Pat - WA5IYX