RFI

Re: [RFI] DTV and Power line RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DTV and Power line RFI
From: "RFI Services" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:35:46 -0400
I was recently hired to resolve a TVI complaint and before I got there the
customer called to say that his new Digital TV converter solved the problem.
The utility called me and cancelled my visit.
Two weeks later my contact at the power company called to let me know that
the cause of the complaint that had been cancelled has been repaired. I
asked why they pursued the complaint after it had been closed? They didn't
pursue it, they had an outage and the cause was a burned off jumper about
one block from the complainant. The TVI complainant and several other
neighbors were discussing the issue with the lineman that the TVI to the
area homes stopped with the outage. The TVI complainant went home and
checked for his TVI using the TV tuner and the TVI was gone on his set as
well.
DTV will drastically reduce power line TVI if not stop it totally. The
problem is, that's one less tool we have for detecting the many catastrophic
failures we find yearly that wouldn't have been found if it weren't for an
RFI/ TVI complaint.

Mike Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd