RFI

Re: [RFI] A RF Quiet Electric Fencer needed

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A RF Quiet Electric Fencer needed
From: ROBERT MARCH <n7ua@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:45:24 -0500 (EST)
Actually most electric fences, even if there is no arcing, do generate a
broadband click every time the fence is charged.  This happens because in most
chargers made in the USA there is no wave shaping and the pulse rise time is
very fast, creating a broadband signal.  Some European models, I am told, do
have wave shaping and do not click in the HF bands.  I'd like to find them in
the USA.  Of course it is true that if there is a short or arc, the noise will
be even worse.  But a new perfectly installed fence can be detected at close
range (e.g. under 200 yards).
Thus the solution is to either modify the charger to add wave shaping, or
filter the HF and MF components of the signal before it gets to the fence wire.
I have used a series tuned LC circuit at the output of a charger (tuned for
160)with success.  A LP filter arrangement should also work.
I have asked before if anyone here knows a model number from Europe perhaps
that has built in wave shaping.  Maybe someone can offer some wisdom.  Bob  N7UA

BTW another important point is to make sure that the fence has a good ground.