RFI

Re: [RFI] 40 M and DirecTV

To: "Group RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 40 M and DirecTV
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:04:39 -0700
Hi Rick,

See suggestions below.

73,

Jim K9YC

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:20:01 -0700 (PDT), rick darwicki wrote:

>Before I climb the roof..............

I wouldn't suspect anything on the roof, other than possible
rectification creating a UHF spur that is getting into the satellite.
Pretty unlikely. Symptoms you describe are far more likely to be
produced in the receiver module that does the decoding.

>Is there any reason only 40 meters would make my TV picture rotate
>10-15 degrees as I key up? I.E. some relationship or thing in the LNA?

I would suspect internal circuitry of the decoding box or the TV
itself.

>Tons of ferrite on everything

I hope this means that you have chokes with something like 6-8 turns on
a 2.4-inch toroid of #31 or #43 on every cable that hits that decoder
box, and on every cable that hits the TV. Single turn ferrites are
meaningless on 40M.

>but I suspect one of the 40 meter radials from the vertical terminates
>close to the dish and has high RF on the end.

That could be exciting a lack of shielding problem in the decoder box.
There is high voltage at the end of a resonant radial. Shielding
problems are very impractical to fix. Try moving the radial. :) But do
the other stuff first.

One suggestion. Try reducing your TX power in steps and make note of
how much you have to reduce it before the problem goes away. This
should tell you how big your problem is. 6dB problems (1/4 power) are
pretty easy to solve. 20 dB problems (1:100 power) are tougher.

73,

Jim K9YC