RFI

Re: [RFI] Mast-mount TV Pre-Amp -- Avoiding RFI & Overload?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mast-mount TV Pre-Amp -- Avoiding RFI & Overload?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:33:18 -0400
> Likewise, a HIGH-PASS filter  cutting off just
> below channel 7 (174 MHz) will be the ideal situation.   This would also
> reject two meter ham signals.  I don't know if such filters  are readily
> available in the marketplace.

Excellent suggestion, Jim.  Microwave Filters, Inc. produces such a filter
with a HPF function and can be ordered with a knee at the lower edge of Ch.
7.  Their model 3378 would work well between the antenna and DTV receiver --
or between antenna and a mast-head preamp.

http://www.microwavefilter.com/lowhighpass.htm

Wingard makes a reasonably good preamp with DTV in mind

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/WC-809%20_HDP-269.pdf

> "Non-linearity will be a potential problem in digital TV  preamps.  If
you are out in the weak-signal sticks,  overload and  non-linear response
aren't as likely to be a problem, but in areas close to the  transmitters it
could be.  You can have too much of a good thing with  digital TV."

Agreed. I ended up removing my preamp from a small mast-mounted bat-wing
antenna where the DTV stations are 10 miles away.  I would first attempt
signal capture without the preamp, and only add it if one or more stations
cannot be decoded.  Many DTV sets have built-in signal strength meters.  Not
that they are lab-quality instruments by any means, but they do a good job
of letting you know if the received signal level is within an acceptable
signal-strength window.

Also, in my case, the stations I am trying to decode are not all in the same
geographic area.  Accordingly, one may find that a compromise must be struck
when aligning a directional antenna .  I ended up pointing the antenna
mid-way between two antenna farms.  In the analog world, that probably would
have resulted in visual problems, but the industry is now on 6th-generation
8-VSB chip-sets and they do a remarkable job of decoding, even in the
presence multipath and low signal strength.

Paul, W9AC