RFI

Re: [RFI] RF quiet UPS?

To: "Mel Crichton" <kj9c@iquest.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF quiet UPS?
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:06:27 -0400
On Oct 28, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Mel Crichton wrote:

> About to buy a new UPS for the shack computer.  Need 800 VA minimum
> but thinking that 1500 would be better for future.

I have a few here.  To my mind, the 1500 VA units are barely
sufficient for one transceiver, one PC & monitor, and the assorted
accessories.  At best, when the battery is new, I might get 15 or 20
minutes out of each operating position before they're ready to shut
down.

> Any that you really like?

What I really like (and you will, too, sooner than you think) are the
ones with terminals for adding external batteries.  One day you're
going to discover the battery in your UPS is almost dead, and when you
learn what the replacement price and procedure are, you're going to be
upset you didn't choose one that works with automotive batteries or
some other battery easily (and competitively) available at nearby
stores.

Bud, W2RU