RFI

[RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 19:28:40 -0600
About 4-5 days ago I started noticing my noise floor on 160m,
which had been around 4-5, is now running S9 to S9+10.
I did see it stop for a couple of hours on the 2nd day,
but now it's steady all day 24/7.

This is listening either on a vertical or dipole.
It has no distinctive sound, like an arc might have.
It just sounds like my atmospheric noise floor
had a volume control and has been turned up.

I found out to day it goes all the way up to about 5mhz.

5.00mhz is S9
5.25mhz is S8
5.50mhz is S6
6.00mhz is S5
7.00mhz is S4
8.00mhz is S3
S3 all the way to 30mhz

I have am MFJ-856 DIRECTIONAL NOISE FINDER W/3 ELE BEAM,
that I have not tried to look for this with yet,
mainly because the manual says that it listens at a frequency of 135mhz.
So I'm not sure it is going to be of much help.
I have used it before on power line noise,
but this doesn't sound like power line noise,
it's just exactly like the sound of the normal noise floor.

Anyway, I have done the usual, shutting off power at the breaker box,
and it doesn't change the noise..................

So anyone care to hazard a guess where I should start looking? I don't have
anything portable or rotateable at those frequencies (1.8mhz - 5.0mhz)

TIA
--
GB & 73
K5OAI