RFI

Re: [RFI] Big Farad Audio Caps & RFI?

To: ve3gsi@canada.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Big Farad Audio Caps & RFI?
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:36:44 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:

> Is there an advantage using those 'big caps' when mobile? Perhaps a positive
> noise reduction from the car electrical/electronics?
>
> Courious,
> Eric - VE3GSI

Those 'big caps' have too low a SRF to be useful as an RF bypass.  *IF*
you have low frequency ripple making it through to the radios audio stage
it could help but this would normally indicate a failing battery, and
could be filtered with a *MUCH* smaller cap.

The only really useful role would be the same one they serve in a large
stereo install.  As a current reserve.

In a audio system they keep the voltage from sagging (causing distortion)
during current peaks (bass strikes mainly).

In a mobile install, there is very little reason if only running a radio.
Proper size wire will do fine for the 20 - 25 amps a 100watt mobile draws.

If you are running say a SG500 amp...  A 500watt mobile amp cat hit 70 -
90 amps on voice peaks.

You can run 1/0 cable, you can run #4 or #6 from the main batt to an aux
batt and 18 inches of #6 to the amp and be OK for AM/FM or dead carrier...

OR

you can run smaller cable with a large audio cap by the amp.  The audio
amp will do nothing for a 70amp+ continious draw, but it will level out
the supply voltage when transmitting uncompressed SSB (average draw <
25amps, peaks to 90amps).

Personally I favor 1/0 cable and a aux battery, but if one is stuffing
things into a compact car, or say a jeep wrangler and only runs SSB a cap
could be viable.

The main issue is when someone installs an 500watt mobile amp at the end
of a 12 foot #6 run and attempts to drive it to 500watts.  The voltage
drop on audio peaks leads to severe overdrive on peaks and distortion.