RFI

[RFI] Noise on 40

To: RFI <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Noise on 40
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:13:26 -0400
A few nights ago I fired up on 40 which of course was loaded with QRN.
The band appeared to be open world wide, but the QRN was too much for an
SSB contact.  Tremendous static crashes, but between 7.150 through about
7.180 appeared to be a broad band signal.  It sounded like plain old
receiver "hiss", and the scope on the 756 Pro did show peaks and valleys
with a rather sharp roll off just above 7.150 and just below 7.180.  It
would come and go with a typical duration of 3 to 5 minutes IIRC.  Start
and stop were as if some one had thrown a switch.  I heard it late one
night since then.  It takes a very strong signal to be heard over it.

Any idea as to what it is/was?

73

Roger (K8RI)