RFI

[RFI] FiOS - Actiontec router QRM

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FiOS - Actiontec router QRM
From: "Richard F DiDonna NN3W" <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:32:27 -0400
I recently had Verizon FiOS brought into the house - after years with Cox.  I
am getting a tremendous amount of QRM from the router which is an Actiontec
MI424WR router.

I've tested it by pulling all wired ethernet cables from the router to the
"shack" computer and the QRM is still clearly audible every 55 or 56 KHz - most
pronounced on 20 and 30 meters (one spur is smack in the sweetspot portion of
20 meters (i.e., 14022).

I've disconnected the 10v AC/DC connector from the router (cutting the power to
the router), and the noise disappears.  The cord from the wall wart does have a
factory assembled ferrite choke near the male plug which goes to the router.  I
don't have a backup wall wart to test if there is noise from the wart itself,
but I suspect the router itself.

Anyone else have experience with this?

73 Rich NN3W