RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Floodlight warning!!

To: rfi@contesting.com, svetanoff@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Floodlight warning!!
From: Craig <vk3he@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:14:06 -0800 (PST)
Hi Dale

The filter components were all placed inside the aluminum  housing. The light
is very well shielded,  thats why I was so surprised at the very high levels of
QRM.

I placed  the IEC EMC mains filter, #31 common mode chokes(input and output)
inside the shielded housing.

The ground conductor was initially grounded to the housing. I lifted the ground
so that I could solder it directly to the EMC filter ground at the 240 volt AC
input. I will try a choked earth conductor as well. I might also try grounding
the EMC filter ground to the housing. Since the 240AC mains cable is not
bypassed to the housing  at the entrance gland, it may well be contributing to
the incidental radiation.

When I examined the switch mode power supply module it had a diagram indicating
 that a diode is placed directly across the output of the power supply. I will
investigate if the RF hash is being created  by the diode junction being
switched at high speed by the switcher.  I will also try capacitor by-passing
of all the leads.   I generally dont like doing this because of the high
leakage currents which can cause problems with the earth leakage switch.

Australia like the rest of the world's regulation  bodies is turning a blind
eye to the  junk from China. I dont know why these laws are being allowed to be
flouted in the name of free trade and appeasing the rubbish import merchants.

The problem is that even if you are a discerning consumer the markings and
certifications on  the boxes mean absolutely nothing,  we all know  that the
Chinese factories are acting in a fraudulent manner when it comes to their EMC
compliance.

As for this 50 watt LED floodlight there is no doubt that performance is
excellent. They are very bright for such a low power consumption light.
Its a darn shame that there is no quality manufacturers like Philips for these
high power LED lights.

73
Craig
VK3HE