RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources

To: "rfi@contesting.com List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:30:37 -0500
Hello Larry,

Can I assume that MFJ noise meter is ok device?  I've been thinking about
buying one.  Good idea or not?

Regarding noise on poles.  I had a terrible intermittent noise here on 2
meters.  It turned out to be a pole almost in front of the house.  The pole top
had rotted out and there were splinters of pole sticking up and the bolts
holding the insulator assembly loosened up as a result.  So any wind or shaking
of the wires or pole caused the sparking noise.  The power company, (Xcel
Energy) lineman cut off the top foot or so of the pole, drilled new holes for
the bolts and replaced the insulator and hardware.  The noise was gone.  I see
another pole about a block away with the same problem.  I look closer with
binoculars.. If I had a noise meter I could do a better job of pin pointing
noise, which helps when I call in a report.

73
Dale, k9vuj