RFI

Re: [RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 17:41:25 -0700
On 5/3/2011 3:21 PM, Frank N. Haas KB4T wrote:
> I think it's fair to point out that Sam's inquiry did not mention that
> he doesn't have equipment and isn't mobile enough to chase after
> something.

Hey guys -- this isn't personal, nor is anyone keeping score.

As to equipment -- nearly every ham I know has at least one rig that can
run from 12V, and mounts for HF antennas are pretty inexpensive and easy
to add to your vehicle. You don't need $15K worth of gear to drive
around and figure out where a source gets louder. A few years ago, I
helped K6XX chase HF noise. He grabbed a little Yaesu QRP rig, hooked it
to a 10M vertical clamped onto the luggage rack of my SUV, and we were
off and running.

If you study what RFI experts like K3RFI has written, you'll find lots
of detailed advice for doing this yourself without lots of expensive
gear. My resources include things as mainstream as an IC746, a Yaesu
8800 (VHF/UHF rig that can listen in AM mode), a Kenwood TH-F6A VHF/UHF
talkie, and K3.  Any one of them would work just fine -- IF you've
studied what Mike has to say on the topic. There's also some tutorial
stuff on my website about electronic noise sources, and I'm working on
adding more.

73, Jim K9YC