RFI

Re: [RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:56:13 -0500
let me correct a few things
as far as equipment I do have the following:

I bought a 3 element MFJ-856, operates at 135mhz I think it is
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-856
I've tried using over the last 2 years.
I have found lots of things,
most of which were not the noise problem for my rig,
how do I know? you kill the power to the home,
and the noise the MFJ-856 found stops,
but the interfering noise problem on the rig is still there,
that ain't your noise problem.
for this noise I'm chasing, the MFJ-856 is useless....

I bought a Grundig G8 AM FM Shortwave radio
converted it so it can use
either the loopstick
or an external antenna
I have built a 28" direction finding loop
I have just started trying to use this combination

a friend using his Alinco DJ-X1T
tried using the loop 2 weeks ago and it seemed had some luck,
which later turned out may have been a false trail.

Meaning when the chase was resumed this week with my G8,
(he had taken his radio home with him)
starting at his last
'we're getting closer point, was not duplicable.

Starting at the point they left off with almost full scale readings.
Needed more attenuation they said.
I couldn't even find any noise signals to try to DF.

I now have on order a National RF HFDF direction finding gun
http://www.nationalrf.com/type_hfdf_vector.htm
It's maybe 2-3 weeks out from now,
they are very backlogged,
due to a death in the family,
and the increased demand for their products,
due to the activity on this list. <-- a good thing), imo

the part about not being mobile enough, well,
let me just advise anyone that may be a smoker,
quit before it's to late,
O2 tanks are a life saver, but a pain to drag around,
when you have no wheels and can't walk far.
so all the equipment in the world doesn't help
unless I find someone with wheels to drive me around for the search.
Not whining here, just stating facts.

maybe one day it will get bad enough
I can have one of those little scooters
and then I can add a trailer
with my hula hoop antenna and such
and go play in traffic and have fun while I chase rfi, hi hi.

lets just please end this thread
I popped off in my frustrations over
not being able to "just find it"

the info and pointers were all good stuff,
I was/am just frustrated,
it's a little harder than I would like it to be,
to duplicate the successes of the pros, sorry my bad.

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan