RFI

Re: [RFI] Interference from AC units

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interference from AC units
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:13:07 -0700
On 8/28/2011 7:22 PM, Larry Parker wrote:
> My next big headache is the new undercounter puck lights that have a
> 20 khz transformer converting 120vac to 12vac.

These are very nasty RFI generators. They are NOT transformers, they are
switching power supplies.  The FCC and ARRL are seriously asleep at the
switch to have allowed the proliferation of these RFI generators.  You
MAY have some success by winding multiple turns of the AC line cable
around a #31 toroid to form a common mode choke.  See my RFI tutorial
for guidelines for tuning the choke to the frequencies where you are
experiencing the greatest RFI trash.

73, Jim K9YC