RFI

[RFI] Here's a motion sensor light to avoid

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Here's a motion sensor light to avoid
From: Patrick <wa4tuk-rf@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:27:17 -0500
This post might save someone with radios some grief.

I recently lost a motion sensing flood light. As it turns out, the
original unit failed due to water making its way into the electronics.
So off to the store for a replacement.

I found a model at Lowes that looked okay and included lamps.  "Secure
Home 240 °Halogen Motion Sensing Security Light" The unit features a
soft start feature to lengthen lamp life and a "Dual Bright" feature for
two different light levels.

Of course they accomplished all of this with an SCR and neglected
filtering. AC buzz audible with a simple AM receiver all over the house
and a good part of the yard. I decided to keep it anyway since the on
time would be set to one minute. At no time was the SCR ever driven
completely on so it buzzed whenever the light was lit.

The short version of this story without the troubleshooting details is
that the unit is back at Lowes after having failed in the always on
mode. They are good about a refund. I found a unit at Walmart that still
uses a relay. No noise.

Pat
wa4tuk