RFI

Re: [RFI] Smart meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smart meters
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:53:22 -0600
On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:38, Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Oklahoma Gas and Electric installed smart meters in my city as an initial
> experimental tryout. I can run about a kW (peak) output. Mine works fine,
> causes me no interference and I don't bother it. Not all smart meters are the
> same, apparently.

~5 SE your location as you know, but different utility, using PLC
instead of those little Ricochet-style wireless units.  No issues
here.  We have both utilities in the neighborhood, but I doubt I can
hear anything from the RF units given that they seem to operate at 35
cm or above.

Having "smart" meters meant that our coop no longer needed meter
readers, a big cost reduction, and that they now know (without calling
or visiting) that power has been restored to a member after a repair.
It also means that we now have a TOU tariff, which means for most of
my kWh, the price went down.  Peak went up, of course, but we still
come out ahead.

They can have my smart meter when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.  :-)

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricochet_(Internet_service) )