RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer birdies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer birdies
From: Phil <na4m@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:56:27 -0500
On Jun 26, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 6/26/2012 11:49 AM, charlie@thegallos.com wrote:
>> I personally found, with my router and computers that the computer was the
>> really bad end, but putting cores on both ends helped too, as there was some
>> low level stuff coming from the router
>
> Yes. Each end of a cable connected to ANY digital electronics should be
> viewed as a potential noise source, but as several have noted, some
> products are much noisier than others.

As a quick check/test I found some likely Ethernet RFI crud close to 50.120 and
3.770.

Shut computer down - 50.120 E'net crud stops as computer shuts off.

Disconnected E'net cable from computer & router then powered computer back up
and switched it over to it's wireless interface.

50.120 & 3770 crud still gone.

With the availability of reasonably  priced wireless routers along with plugin
wireless adapters for computer ethernet and USB ports not sure why it makes
sense to still fuss with using wired Ethernet networks in home/shack and then
need to install toroids, shielded cables, etc. to rid the radio of Ethernet RFI
crud.   Maybe one short e'net cable needed between the router and upstream
cable/DSL/etc. modem and thats it.

73 Phil NA4M

Phil Duff
Georgetown, TX