RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer birdies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer birdies
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:30:03 -0700
On 6/27/2012 2:57 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> CAT 5 and 6 do not like tight turns, but 6 is far better than 5 with
> dividers separating each pair.

That's due to deformation of the twisted pairs, and yes, it can degrade
data rate. BUT -- Belden does CAT5/6/7 better. First, all of their
Ethernet cables, even the cheapest ones, use twisted pairs that are
individually molded together, which serves to minimize that deformation.
Their premium Ethernet cable, called Mediatwist, goes that even better,
with a special double oval shape that further rejects deformation and
preserves separation between pairs. As a result, you can get away with
tight turns with little or no degradation. One of my professional
colleagues turned me on to Mediatwist about ten years ago when we first
began using Ethernet for sophisticated audio signal distribution, and
many of us specified it for the reasons noted.

73, Jim K9YC