RFI

Re: [RFI] Single-point grounding

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Single-point grounding
From: "Bob Turner" <Bob@n2scj.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 10:54:04 -0400
I recently had to add my computer to my single point grounding system.
Apparently the computer chassis potential was slightly different than the
chassis potential on my FT-7800 transceiver.  I feed the audio output of the
FT-7800 into an audio stream for others to listen to on the internet.  Over
the past year, a 60 cycle hum gradually increased in volume on this setup.
It was rather annoying.  I theorized that there was a small AC current
traveling on the ground of the audio cable between FT-7800 and computer
sound card (ground loop).   This presented itself as an AC hum to my
listeners.  The FT-7800 was already attached to my single point ground panel
via the coax shield as the coax is attached to an ICE lightning arrestor
which bonds the coax shield to my single point ground panel.  I guessed that
the AC voltage on computer chassis was was traveling on the audio
shield/ground to the FT-7800 transceiver where it then travelled on the coax
shield to the single point ground panel.  I ran a braided wire from a screw
on computer chassis to the single point ground panel.  Immediately there was
more hum.  That was about a month ago and the hum is still gone.

My audio feed can be found on my web site which can be found here:
http://n2scj.net

Bob