RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI & Alarm Systems?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI & Alarm Systems?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 02:52:18 -0400
On 8/3/2012 10:06 AM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
> You could try a big 440 amp in your mobile and see how good their
> incoming filters are ... the problem may resolve itself when they
> protect it against incoming overloading they will also stop their
> unintentional illegal jamming 'broadcasts'.
>
>> : There is one I drive by nearly every day that wipes out a portion of the
>> : 440 band.

That was me.

It's a motion detecting alarm system. I haven't used the 440 band in the
car for some time except for cross band repeat, but back when I was
operating 440 mobile I'd hear it over quite a bit of the band.  "I
think" it was a high frequency sweep across a portion of the band.
Whether it was centered on ISM in the 440 band or not I don't remember.
  There are a lot of link frequencies just below the 435 spot and I use
a link frequency for a cross band input.

>> What exactly are you hearing from it?  Intentional RF or incidental?

It would have been intentional as it is checking for movement.
Call it a poor mans RADAR.<:-))

  There
>> is an ISM band (Part 15) from 433.05 to 434.79.  I usually monitor 433.925,
>> 434.000 and 434.500, but I have equipment operating throughout that range.

Repeater links are some where around 431 something, IIRC.

73

Roger (K8RI)