RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 02:57:07 -0600
For a long time I had a similar puzzling noise on 20m that shifted in frequency when the central air conditioning unit came on/off. As I'm on that band only for contests with a low fan-dipole antenna it wasn't a high-priority item to track down.

Then one day with a 30-50 MHz receiver on I happened to walk thru the dinette and heard it. It was quickly isolated to the charging unit for a pair of (c. 2002) Cobra FRS handhelds there.

Sometime before this that circuit had triggered a warning on an APC UPS unit when plugged in there. A Klein RT100 tester says "open ground". From the get-go here in Jun 1972 it had been noticed that some non-polarized plug metal appliances would present a tingling to the touch if plugged in one way. If this had been determined to be a contractor-wiring error at the start a demand for remedy would have been instituted.

73, Pat - WA5IYX