RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:31:00 -0400
On 9/13/2012 11:52 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 9/13/2012 5:19 PM, Tony wrote:
Assuming it is a house wiring problem and not an appliance, what would cause it to come on in the evening and stay on till morning? Would temperature and humidity cause this?

I suspect a combination of things -- a wiring problem that is making the noise source radiate (or conduct) more effectively. The thing that makes me suspect house wiring is that you said you switch a light and the noise changes. THAT'S why I said you should check your wiring very carefully, and all of us should anyway. The law of averages says that whoever did your house wiring made at least one mistake. Some mistakes are a nuisance, some are very dangerous.

Good advice Jim. I checked the switch and the socket today and they appear to be wired correctly. Wiring is also in good condition. I shook the outlet and switch to see if noise changed, but nothing happened.

The only lights that could GENERATE noise are fluorescents or those that have a DC power supply. It's become quite common for most track lighting to use a DC power supply, and they are virtually all switching power supplies. 73, Jim K9YC

Understand. In this case it's a simple incandescent bulb. I'll have the 12 volt battery in hand this weekend so I can run the rig with the mains turned off.

Tony -K2MO