RFI

Re: [RFI] Radar Engineers RFI Analyzers

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Radar Engineers RFI Analyzers
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:06:03 -0500
Jim:

Tequipment.net put the RIGOL DS1000E on sale earlier this year. It's a
100 MHz general purpose scope which I really enjoy using. It has a
very nice complement of features and capabilities. I set the scope on
the middle of the van's dash on a non-slip cover that keeps it stable.
It's 120 Vac powered by an inverter in the truck.

I use a fairly decent "no name" 1500 watt inverter wired directly to
the vehicle battery. The inverter provides AC power for the scope and
other devices I use during my work day. When I first installed the
inverter I did note some grass on the scope caused by the inverter. I
wound the AC power cord that runs to the scope through a pair of 2.5
inch type 31 donuts and that eliminated the visual and audible hash.

The AM/FM radio in the work van is not affected by ignition noise at
all. I presume it has the world's most effective noise blanker. As a
result I see no ignition artifacts on the scope display. I typically
search with the AM radio tuned to 1710 with the scope displaying the
radio's audio output with enough headroom on the display. The scope
display makes a very good signal strength indicator. This combo will
usually get me within spitting distance. If I can hear the subject of
my search on the IC-7000 I'll use the signal strength meter of that
radio to get me closer. If I can hear the subject on 50 MHz or 144 MHz
I can usually hear it on the Radar Engineers M330 handheld. That unit
will show me which pole or house or building I need to closely
examine.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility RFI Investigator