RFI

[RFI] Electronic Fluorescent Ballasts - look for Residential rated

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Electronic Fluorescent Ballasts - look for Residential rated
From: Tom McDermott <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 20:33:19 -0800 (PST)

> Do you know who might manufacture a consumer rated ballast? How much
> quieter is RF-wise the consumer rated ballast as compared to the
> non-consumer rated device?
>
> Steve K8JQ

Hi Steve,

The FCC regulations for EMI radiated and conducted emissions are
Part 18 subpart C sections 18.305 para (c) and 18.307 para (c).

The field strength limits are roughly 10 dB more stringent, and the
conducted limits roughly 12-21 db more stringent.

I've seen T8 new fixtures available for residential use. I've not looked
for T12 ballast retrofits, so no experience there. Anecdotally, several
of the guys I've talked with have replaced Commercial T8 with
Residential T8 and it made the difference between not being able
to hear FM broadcast stations and hearing them.

I suspect that it could be more than just the specification limit - i.e.
it's possible that some of the lowest-cost commercial ballasts may
not come anywhere close to meeting the Commercial specs.

Here is the Philips Fluorescent Ballast Catalog, including T12
retrofits (pages I-64 through I-66).

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/us_en/connect/advance/assets/1-01_to_1-69_Atlas2012.pdf

To be 'Energy Star' rated the ballast must meet residential (Class B)
EMI requirements (see page I-5).

-- Tom, N5EG

http://www.tscm.com/47cfr18.pdf
 18.305 (c) The field strength limits for RF lighting devices shall be the
following:Frequency (MHz)     Field strength limit at 30 meters (
Non-consumer equipment:
30–88 .................. 30
88–216 ................ 50
216–1000 ............ 70
Consumer equipment:
30–88 .................. 10
216–1000 ............ 20

[Conduction Limits]18.307 (c) RF lighting devices:Frequency (MHz)     Maximum
RF line voltage measured with a 50
Non-consumer equipment:
0.45 to 1.6 .......... 1000
1.6 to 30 ............. 3000