RFI

Re: [RFI] Ultrasonic Dish

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ultrasonic Dish
From: Don Nelson <n0ye@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 05:35:47 -0700
Hi all,

A parabolic dish to be used for ultrasonic purposes uses the same physics as a parabolic dish used in a flash light or in microwave applications. I dabble in the microwave arena. The engineering is the same. A dish has an f/D ratio that is the where f is the focal point dimension and D is the diameter. The feed beam width chosen to be used for a dish has to be matched to the f/D to get optimal performance. I suspect that the ultrasonic sensor has a wide beam width and so is best matched to a deep dish. A deep dish has a low f/D radio such as f/D = .3 or so.

A few years ago I was driving through town and saw the traffic light people changing out the light bulbs for LED traffic lights. Yup those were deep dish parabolic units being scrapped and I got a bunch. They work well to 24 GHz. The point here is you may find a suitable parabolic dish in unusual places. Have fun looking!

Don, N0YE