RFI

Re: [RFI] Troubleshooting AFCI Tripping Due To Amateur Transmissions

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Troubleshooting AFCI Tripping Due To Amateur Transmissions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:15:35 -0800
On 1/3/2013 12:15 PM, Jeff Stevens wrote:
A friend of a family member is experiencing an apparent RFI issue which is
causing his code required AFCI outlets to trip,

I had issues like this in the home I owned in Chicago. It was an old wood frame building, built right after the great Chicago fire (2x8s were REALLY 2x8), and the wiring was ancient, some of it even knob and tube. I replaced all of it, mostly in EMT conduit (thinwall), put GFCIs in the bathrooms and kitchens, all the same, bought at the same time. One, in the upstairs bath, within perhaps 30 ft of my main wire antenna for 80/40/20/15, would trip. I replaced it with a left over unit bought at the same time, same batch, and no more tripping.

A GFCI (ground fault current interrupter) senses the difference between current on the hot and current on the neutral, and trips if that difference exceeds about 6mA. There's circuitry inside to do that, and it's usually "lowest common denominator" for cost, even more so for the cheapest stuff that usually gets purchased. Adding capacitance to those lines is a no-no, because it can contribute to leakage current, increasing or creating imbalance.

I suggest changing the GFCI to a premium grade unit as a first step. I hesitate to recommend any specific brands -- virtually everything is built off shore, el-cheapo grande, and it's hard to find an engineer to talk to about a product. .

73, Jim K9YC