RFI

Re: [RFI] Troubleshooting AFCI Tripping Due To Amateur Transmissions

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Troubleshooting AFCI Tripping Due To Amateur Transmissions
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:01:06 +0000
Though AFCIs and GFCIs may look similar, they are very different.  AFCIs are
a relative newcomer to the scene and the fixes for one may not be the same
for the other... see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interrupter
I would assume that since the AFCI is looking for a relatively short current
spike that it may be more sensitive to CW keying transients, where GFCIs may
require longer times to trip.  And if they do require that shorter current
spike, would the filter methods normally used for GFCIs defeat the purpose
of the AFCI??  I would say it may take some lab time with these things to
determine the proper answer, even the arrl doesn't have that yet:
http://www.arrl.org/gfci-devices

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net