RFI

Re: [RFI] Arc fault protection

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Arc fault protection
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:15:19 -0800
On 1/5/2013 9:40 AM, rick darwicki wrote:
Typical government/committe expansion of what was originally a good idea
(maybe).

Two important clarifications here. First, virtually all building codes in North America are based on NEC, which is written by a group of EEs from industry. It's a very good code. NEC is adopted by local governments as their Electrical building code, which gives it the force of law. I don't know about you, but I consider building safety codes a VERY VERY good thing, and a very necessary function of government. They make our buildings safer, so that they can withstand earthquakes, are less likely to burn, so that cables in them don't create noxious fumes when they burn, so that burning cables in vertical runs in high rises don't spread fires between floors in a large building (both of the last two things happened in the REAL "towering inferno, and causes those provisions to be added to NEC.

I can't comment on the virtues of Arc Fault Protection, since I don't know anything about it, nor the hardware failures that it is protecting against. But I can tell you that GFCIs are a VERY good thing -- they protect people from electrocution in rooms where use of a faulty appliance could kill them -- that is, if a person touches the appliance and grounded plumbing.

73,

Jim K9YC