RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI suppression cores for 147 MHz

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI suppression cores for 147 MHz
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:09:21 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Jim,

Thank you for the comments.  The reason I stressed the full circumferential
shield termination within the connector (usually within a back shell or
termination clamp/ring system) is because that is what is required to meet
MIL-STD-461 (and some DO-160 civilian aircraft) radiated emission requirements
for many aerospace systems.  With so many hams having problems with LAN and
digi equipment interference issues due to having their antennas close to (or
even inside) the house/shack, I am quite certain that there are plenty of
instances that actually need RFI suppression to the same degree as the military
systems.  This would be a lesser problem if people could place their antennas
tens to hundreds of feet away from their computer and network systems.  I can
assure you that failure to maintain a full circumferential, low-Z shield
termination on cables has been the cause of many system test failures.  There
is also a real need to make certain that pc card ground planes have low-Z
 current paths to chassis; that's part of a good design.

YES, the path for shield grounding MUST be to the chassis of the associated
equipment.  In this case, "grounding" can mean "common or chassis return", as
opposed to "earth ground".  A lot of ITE equipment operates with a 2-wire line
cord, so there is no "earth" ground to be found.  However, when one considers
the loop area of the RFI-conducting path, the primary concept that matters is
total length (and net Z) between the device chassis (which contains the noise
makers) and the cable shield.  Having a connected peripheral device in which
the LAN signal does not tie to chassis via a short, direct path is nothing more
than having a probe antenna sticking out at the end of the coax.

The test frequency range for radiated emission MIL-STD-461 (and DO-160) testing
is typically 30 MHz to 1 GHz.  In most cases, the most important portion of the
spectrum needing help is 30 MHz to about 300 MHz, and the stated 100 to 200 MHz
certainly falls within that as a subset.  If 2m is the only VHF band that the
original poster of this thread operates, then that limited frequency range is
all he needs to consider.  However, for those active on 6m, 2m, 1 1/4m, and
70cm, the need can be much greater - depending, of course, upon the placement
of spurs on the LAN.  Mix 43 still works well for most of these frequencies,
but the amount of placed 43 mix parts may have to be varied when multiple
frequency bands are involved.

As a side note, I am active on all of the bands listed, but except for my HT,
all antennas are at least 50 to 100 feet from the LAN cables and devices.  I
have yet to hear a problem on any of those bands.

One added note: My previous post talked about the special RJ-45 with full
shroud shielding available from a vendor.  A big reason for that device needing
to be part of the original design for a system is that it is not small.  You
probably won't see these connectors on laptops, pods, or similar devices.  I am
also guessing that they are very costly.

73, Dale
WA9ENA