RFI

Re: [RFI] buying a AC adapter

To: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] buying a AC adapter
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:01:20 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Aaron,

Get yourself a linear power supply.  The linear that tore up your SW listening
may very well have had a self-oscillation problem in the series regulator chip.
 (The popular 78-series regulators are supposed to have by-pass caps at (or
near) the input and output terminals.  Many cheapo manufacturers get by without
those critical caps because the chips will usually work just fine without the
caps - for awhile.  They can become power oscillators at any time.

If you don't have any hamfests or thrift stores handy, check out the selection
of linear wall warts at Jameco Electronics or Marlin P Jones & Associates.
Both are on-line and offer many linear supplies.  If you find one with the
correct voltage and current, but not the correct conenctor for your equipment,
buy the unit anyway and cut off and save the output cable from the old
switcher.  You can always wire it into the new linear wall wart and you will
then have the correct (and quiet) power source with the proper connector.

73, Dale
WA9ENA