RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommended All Band Receiver

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommended All Band Receiver
From: Steve <steve65@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:25:39 -0400
Hi Frank,

Does the TECSUN have an antenna jack so it could be used with a directional antenna on the aircraft band? Does it have an S-meter?

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ

On 4/21/2013 9:50 PM, Frank N. Haas KB4T wrote:
I managed to hose up the battery door on the Grundig G4000 AM/FM/SAW
portable receiver I have enjoyed using for the last 2 years.

I checked a variety of vendors and could not find any for sale.  So I
started shopping around for another choice.

My criteria included:

1.  Operates on 4 AA batteries.
2.  Includes airband coverage.
3.  Allows external antenna connection.
4.  Relatively easy to use.
5.  Fairly stable when standing on a counter.
6.  Decent reviews since specs are never published.

After considerable research I chose the TECSUN PL-660SLV.  This receiver
met all the criteria and sells for $120. It works MUCH better than the $240
Sangean ATS-909X I bought last year.

The Tecsun is easy to use,  is ergonomically well-suited to RFI hunting and
it hears well.  With the airband coverage I can get closer to an arcing
source before breaking out the Radar Engineers M330.

The only "con" is the receive audio tends to be a bit bassy. The battery
door is, unfortunately, equally badly designed but I'm doing my best not to
beat it up like I did with the G4000.

This is a better choice than an ultrasonic detector.

73,  Frank KB4T