RFI

[RFI] Short wideband noise bursts 3-100+ mhz

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Short wideband noise bursts 3-100+ mhz
From: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 18:35:07 -0400
I've got very short noise bursts coming from a nearby house. Unlike my other noises (power supplies, general hash) this is the first one that I can really narrow down - as I can hear it from 3-110 mhz and it is probably coming from one of six houses. The noise has a range of several hundred feet. On my antenna it is around S5-S7.

It is extremely broadband. I'm guessing that is has a 100 mhz+ bandwidth like a spark gap transmitter.

It is probably audible above 110 mhz, but I cannot hear it in FM mode and the air band is the highest band that my scanner can get in AM.

It sounds like a click in AM. It is on 24 hours. It is occurs roughly every second, but not in a regular pattern (ranges from several per second to a gap of 3-5 seconds).

I'm guessing I don't hear it below 3 mhz because other noise dominates at those frequencies. However I am surprised that it doesn't come through at all around 500 khz which often has a low noise level. So it is possible that the signal is weaker at lower frequencies.

Any ideas what it could be?

For a while I was thinking it could be lightning, but lightning bursts are much longer and don't continue into the higher frequencies.

Aaron