RFI

Re: [RFI] CO2 detectors and RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CO2 detectors and RFI
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 07:47:25 -0400
On 10/25/2013 3:01 PM, David C. Hallam wrote:
If you want to read about how poisonous co2 is, look up the story about
the African Lake Nyos disaster in 1989 in Cameroon.

CO2 is not normally poisonous. Don't mistake suffocating for poison. It replaces the Oxygen in the air. You continue to breathe, but get no oxygen and never notice the difference.

It is why I mentioned CO2 detectors for vessel entry, but it was actually Oxygen monitors required, not CO2 detection.

When entering a vessel in the US, or even hole or elevator shaft at the base in the ground over a given depth you must first check the Oxygen level. THEN you may not enter (even if it shows the Oxygen level is safe) until you have a monitor "outside the vessel/pit And you are securely fastened to a rope or cable with a harness AND enough man power outside the vessel /pit to pull you out should you cease talking to the people outside. You stop responding and you are coming out, even if it was because you got tired of talking and that is not a fun way of leaving a vessel.

The US has very strict rules and regulations about vessel  and pit entry.

Again, it is because the CO2 displaces the Oxygen because it is notably heavier than most of the gases that make up the air we breathe. We cease functioning when the level of Oxygen drops only a few percent. We suffocate. We are not poisoned.

In years past, when working in instrumentation I spent many a time on the end of that rope, working on instruments in pits, tanks, and holes in the ground.

It's unfortunate that popular programs on TV do not make the distinction between poisoning and suffocation either leaving the impression, or outright calling CO2 a poison. Yes, the result is the same. You are dead, but with CO2, if retrieved soon enough, you can be resuscitated.

That being said, exposure to high levels of CO2 for long periods with enough Oxygen to breathe, you will end up with acidification of your blood and that is considered a poisonous aspect of CO2 by some. Whether this is actually poison is still debated. It's rare and not the cause of death in the elevator shaft, or the lake "turning over" either from vulcanism or temperature changes.

Suffocation due to lack of oxygen comes with no warning whether the CO2 displacement is fast or slow. The victim simply looses consciousness, almost as if going to sleep, which is why CO2 is called a silent killer.
Blood acidification is rare.

73

Roger (K8RI)

David