RFI

Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II

To: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:22:23 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Peter,

Good question.  Answer: it depends.

If you can connect a DMM or VOM between the shack ground bus and the ground rod
outside, TURN OFF ALL POWER to the connected equipment and take a reading.  If
you get very close to ZERO ohms (as in 1 ohm or so), the braid is probably OK.
However, if it looks corroded, replace it even if it ohms out as "good".  As
Eddie, K0IL, noted, corroded braids can lead  to lots of tiny self-rectifying
connections that can spew harmonics all over the place.

You should also be aware that there are special test instruments made just for
the purpose of testing ground and grounding connections.  They are usually
referred to as "Earth Ground Resistance Testers" or some such similar name.
They are a specialized ohmmeter, in that they test using AC (not DC) and they
generate some "real" current (usually several amperes) to force thru the
grounding path.  This is the tester to use if you want to find out how much
actual earth resistance exists between your station ground rod and the ground
on your house AC power panel (assuming that the AC power ground has not been
bonded to your station grounding system).  Again, you have to turn off AC power
so that stray currents in the house power system do not affect the reading and
you then read between the ground rod and your power ground.  These meters are
also used with auxiliary grounding probes to determine soil conductivity and
related measurements.

73, Dale
WA9ENA