RFI

Re: [RFI] Daisy-chain grounding [was DigiKeyer II]

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Daisy-chain grounding [was DigiKeyer II]
From: "Anthony (N2KI)" <n2ki.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:14:13 -0500
Thanks for the links to the r-56. Its always informative when reading about
grounding your station.  I have a perimeter ground here.  There is #6 bare
copper wire that starts at the ground rod outside the shack and is one
continuous run that has an 8 foot ground rod placed every 16 feet, picks up
every ground rod on each tower, continues and picks up the electrical
service ground rod and then terminates back where it began,  Again, all in
one run of wire with a ground rod every 16 feet.  All the equipment
(including computers) here is bonded to a buss bar on the back of the desk
and that buss is in turn bonded to the perimeter ground through a
NEMA enclosure with all the lightning arrestors and copper buss.(via 1 inch
braid from the equipment buss to the lightning arrestor buss).  Also, the
coax shields are grounded at the top and bottom of the tower with the MOV
at the base.  I think somewhere it says it is supposed to be done every so
many feet down the tower also but I did not do that.

I had a direct lightning strike on tower number one and only
lost equipment that was connect to my computer via USB.  After looking at
the setup, I realized that I did not have any protection on my network CAT6
 that runs through the entire house.  Somehow the charge got onto the
network and only affected 1 computer and anything connected via a USB.  I
found some surge protection to add to the network that APC makes.  I add
those in strategic locations (I hope) on the network.

My wife was home and watching TV when the strike occurred. After
she pried herself off the ceiling, she looked outside to see
my vertical V/U antenna blown to smithereens. When I queried here about
what had happened she described that when the strike occurred, all
the appliances when off and then all came back on after a couple of
seconds.  Not one piece of anything other than what was connected to the
computer was blown.  So having a single point ground system is definitely a
good thing.  Its not 100%, but I take the 99%.

So I guess my question is do I change out the 1 inch braid to #6 that
connects the buss bar to the perimeter ground?  All the equipment has braid
pigtails to the buss bar.  Suggestions?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)