RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: "Dale J." <dj2001x@comcast.net>, Mike Ryan <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 18:30:59 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Dale,

I totally agree with your statement about being "all over the ball park" with
these devices.  Also, I do remember Mike's original postings several months ago
about those nasty yard lights that belong to his neighbor.  I have been
following this thread with interest and will now toss in my 2.5 cents' worth.

First, let's please keep in mind some basic EMC engineering and science issues
with respect to the overall problem.  One big reason that the LED light systems
seem to be all over the map on RFI is what seems to be a very wide variation in
the implementation of the lamps themselves.  With the possible exception of a
few LEDs in a flashlight that are directly powered by some AA or AAA cells,
most illumination (as opposed to "indicating") LEDs are NOT powered by a simple
DC supply, such as a battery.  There are MANY IC manufacturers out there who
are selling controller chips to the lighting manufacturers.  I subscribe to
several electronic industry trade rags, and I see ads for such chips
constantly.  They ALL seem to have one thing in common:  NONE of the ICs (that
I can recall) have any form of RFI/EMC control built into the chips themselves.
 It is up to the end device designer (LED lighting manufacturer) to implement
whatever EMC circuitry is required to meet the requirement
 s of the countries in which they plan to sell end products.

Next, there comes the major issue of just where are the driver electronics
located?  Mike mentioned an iron core transformer powering that string of yard
lights, so that almost certainly means that each individual lamp (or lamp
fixture) contains a driver operating off that 12 VAC.  Thus, a true RFI
nightmare because you have multiple sources all pumping junk down the wires
back to the transformer.  No clean-up is needed at the transformer; all chokes
and suppression techniques need to be employed at each individual lamp or lamp
fixture.   That's truly bad news when you don't own the system.  OTOH, I can
imagine that there are some systems out there with a single controller and a
whole string of LEDs connected to it.  In that case, all suppression should
take place at the controller so that the wires going out to the individual LED
lamps don't become antennas.  The controller may also require suppression on
its AC input.

I was a bit surprised when the thread started discussing timers at one point.
OK, what sort of timers?  If they are strictly electro-mechanical, there is
nothing in the timer to create noise other than bad contacts that could arc.  I
have multiple electro-mechanical timers in use here for control of various
CFL-equipped lamps.  No problems with RFI in the nearly 10 years these have
been in use.   If the timer is electronic, then what is the control element?
If an electronic timer uses a relay, then only the contacts are an issue.
However, if an electronic timer uses a triac or SCR as the control element,
then those devices can certainly be suspect, just as in photo-eye controllers
for security lights.  If a switched (or controlled) load generates RFI when
"on", then consider the load, as well as the timer or controller.  Again, this
is not easy if you don't own the timer or load.  However, finding out just what
your neighbor does have is critical to working out a possible
 solution to the RFI problem.

Clearly, successful RFI mitigation requires a lot of cooperation from the
owner(s) of the offending device(s).  As has been mentioned many times on this
reflector, speculation can end up wasting a lot of time.  For those hams
unfortunate enough to have one or many RFI generators in close proximity, the
fastest and surest way to figure out what you are up against is to secure the
cooperation of the generator owners and then learn just what the device(s) in
question is(are).  Then it is time to start thinking about what will be
required to control the noise.

73, Dale
WA9ENA