RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:29:08 +0000
> This all reminds me of the old 50s/60s TVI issue of adding high pass
> filtering to all of the TVs sold out there so they won't pick up RFI
> from hams even though more than 99.9% of TVs won't be located near
> an active ham station.  Does it make any sense to spend millions of
> dollars (billions in today's dollars) to add the high pass filters
> to ever TV including the 99.99% that do not need them, or is it
> maybe more efficient to add the HP filters to only those located
> near active ham stations?  I seriously doubt we hams will win that
> debate.

I see where you are going with that, Ed.  I think those
noisy devices shouldn't be sold to anyone.  I'm pretty
sure all it takes to eliminate the most RFI is some smart
engineering and a 10-cent part (if even that!!).  Yes, it
makes sense to eliminate the noise even though most
people won't complain about it. More...

If memory serves, W8JI lives about 6 miles from the
nearest town.  When he "points" his directional 160m
receiving antennas that direction, the noise increases
by several DB.  So, yeah, consumer devices do radiate far
from their sources and all of that just adds to the
noise floor of our radios.  All because some manufacturer
wants to shave a dime off their cost.

73,
Charlie, N0TT