RFI

Re: [RFI] The Part 15 issue

To: Daniel Donnelly <kc7vda@gmail.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] The Part 15 issue
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:19:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Daniel,

First, I applaud the fact that you seem to be the first (or one of very few)
manufacturers (or former manufactures, in your case) to address some comments
on the topic.  As an EMC engineer and active ham, I have long decried the fact
that the FCC caved in to manufacturer cost issues and failed to implement any
amount of RF immunity in the Part 15 devices.  Therefore, I have a bit more
respect for the EU regulatory folks who did provide for a modest amount of
immunity for devices sold in their market.

Having said that, amidst all of the weeping and wailing that has been going on
over "non-compliant" devices in the USA, I must remind hams (and others) of an
important FACT: Yes, there are certainly non-complying devices on the market
and being sold every day.  Those need to be identified and pulled from sale and
distribution.  As has been noted several times, the FCC has busted some of the
distributors and confiscated non-complying equipment when they are informed of
same and have time to act accordingly.  BUT ... (and this is the BIG one), the
facts are that even complying devices still radiate more than is tolerable,
especially in the HF and lower VHF ranges, by a factor of at least 30 to 40 dB.
 That is because the limits are set too high for allowable radiated emissions
when it comes to compatibility with radio communications installations.

How do I know this?  Well, having worked for 10+ years in aerospace EMC, I had
to live by the requirements of MIL-STD-461 (versions B thru F, with G coming
soon) and RTCA DO-160.  The DO-160 document is the commercial aircraft
requirement for EMC, with some portions very similar to the MIL document.  I've
said this before, and I'll repeat it here: MIL-STD-461 was designed to allow
co-located communications equipment to operate on a non-interfering basis.
That's WHY it is around 30 to 40 dB tougher on emissions (plus it has immunity
requirements, too) than is Part 15.

It is time to wake up and smell the facts for what they are: if your neighbor
has a TV or LED lights or battery charger or whatever that screws up your HF
operating all evening and weekend, YOU (the ham op) need to work with your
neighbor to learn 2 things about the problem device:  1) What is it?  2) Does
it bear an FCC label and appropriate Part 15 warning information?

The problem then arises as to whether the device in question is legit and is
wiping out your HF operations because of the lack of FCC requirements for
emissions control to a level below what would cause the interference, or is it
because the device is NOT legit, although it is marked as being so?  The only
way to know for sure is a retest of the device by an RF compliance test lab,
although examination of the device's "guts" could reveal if important
EMC-related components have been omitted.  Alas, you are not likely to be able
to do any of this.

At this point is when the issue of non-interference enters the picture, and so,
YOU (the ham op) may then have to work with your neighbor to either replace his
gizmo with an RF clean one (at your expense) or take him to the ARRL and/or FCC
and try to get the squeeze put on him to shut down the device.  Not much of a
win-win situation, for sure.

Remember 2 big factors about RFI to your station: 1) Interference must be
stopped at the source.  Once radiated, the show is over.  2) RFI drops off by a
factor of distance squared once you are in the far field (if you don't know
what I mean, please go learn about it).  Keep your antennas as far from your
house and your neighbors' as possible to minimize interference pick-up.  Yes, I
know that is mission impossible for most urban and suburban dwellers, but
that's physics for you.

It's an ugly scene and not likely to get better anytime soon.  As has been
noted on this reflector before, one thing that hams can do is eliminate many
noisy switching power supplies in their own home or shack.  Most of the wall
warts you see today for various gadgets are RF-noisy switchers.  You can
replace them with RF-quiet linear wall warts by either finding some on the
market or homebrewing your own.  Designing and making small linear regulated
power supplies is not rocket science, but it does take some initiative on your
part to do it.  I can't suggest doing the same for your neighbors' equipment
due to liability and warranty issues.  OTOH, there are several switchers on the
market that are big enough to operate your rigs (13.8 VDC output), but they
generally employ emission control measures well in excess of those of Part 15.
The Astron SS-series of power supplies is a good example.

73 and happy RFI hunting,
Dale
WA9ENA in Iowa