RFI

Re: [RFI] Keurig coffee vs Astron Rs35M

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Keurig coffee vs Astron Rs35M
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:24:03 -0700
On 4/10/2014 1:58 PM, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
I know you think you have special knowledge, but it's still one turn
through ferrite of dubious origin which is NEXT to useless but not
useless.

Well, I did spend five years studying how ferrite chokes work for RFI suppression, published it for the first time around 2005, and have updated it over the years as I've learned more. Much of that material was subsequently added to the ARRL Handbook.

I don't know about you, but I finished my EE in 1964, and I've been doing me best to learn SOMETHING every day since.

On one of those days, I opened up the three Astron power supplies in my station and learned that none of them had the green wire in the power cord bonded to the chassis, as required by safety codes in most of the developed world. The green wire was soldered to the chassis mounting lug of a terminal strip, but the lug was insulated from the chassis by paint. That same lug is also bonded to V-, so this manufacturing defect would make the green wire an effective antenna, coupling RF onto the Astron common bus. In the pro audio world, we call this sort of defect "The Pin One Problem," and it's a well known cause of RFI, both emissions and susceptibility.

73, Jim K9YC