RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI in the HF spectrum from variable speed Mitsubishi HVAC sys

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI in the HF spectrum from variable speed Mitsubishi HVAC systems
From: "Karin Johnson" <karinann@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:50:27 -0400
Jim is correct on all counts.  The AC line filter was a very high end
Corcom.  I don't remember the part number
right now.  It was installed inside the mechanical metal enclosure of the
inside blower housing.
Regarding the Thermostat wiring; yes, the use of a ferrite core there would
have been acceptable, but in my
case I couldn't easily put one on the cable, so making a special shielded
cable was an alternate solution.
The wiring maze inside the metal enclosure is not very neat as it comes from
the factory, and one has to rely
somewhat on the shielding effectiveness of the metal enclosure.  I took some
precautions to make sure that the
metal edges on the panels where they joined were free of any paint or
insulating material so that the metal
shielding paths would be as continuous as possible.  The main point I am
trying to make here is that these things
can be tamed with enough proper knowledge and techniques.  Jim, regarding
the controller for the ECM motor, it
is really inside the motor housing itself, for the Regal-Beloit motors.  The
PWM circuits and a small microprocessor used to run the logic are all inside
the motor shell.
The only wiring exiting the motor is the programming lines which are pretty
well bypassed having taken one apart.
Not all motors are like the Regal-Beloit designs though, so be careful about
expecting every ECM motor to react
the same.  Regarding the documents I have, much of this same info was
presented in a document I obtained directly
from the motor manufacturer.

Karin