RFI

Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?

To: <qrv@kd4e.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 02:00:07 -0700
: Which number of elements on VHF is considered adequate?
:
: 3-el
: 4-el
: 5-el
: 6-el
: 7-el

I've played with a couple of 3 element "noise locators" on VHF, both were
useless, no directivity at all, OR, RFI was everywhere.  Couldn't tell, went
back to a vertical sense antenna and attenuator and located it that way.

Power companies use a UHF 5 element Yagi around 320 MHz.  It's small, light
and adequately narrow beamed.

If you have a broadband HT with selective RX mode, such as the Yaesu FT-60
that I use, consider using a higher frequency.  It'll be easier to pinpoint
noise and the antenna isn't too bulky.  If you will be dealing with a power
company, use the range they do, at least it'll be something they might
understand, "Oh, that guy has stuff just like ours".

I've gone as high as 950 Mhz search for RFI.

Kurt