RFI

Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?

To: k9muf@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:44:05 -0400
OK, good point.

Is there any advantage to a simple yagi, quagi, quad, delta loop, or
circular element beam - or will all perform about the same?

Each form factor has an impact on convenience; e.g. weight, ease of
maneuverability, broadbandedness, matching system, etc.

Thanks -  David KD4E

There are disadvantages in using too high a frequency in trying to
locate RFI sources. The RFI signal does not travel as far at UHF as it
does in the VHF range.
The power lines here are at the back of property lots about 150 ft. from
the streets.  One time I was able to pick up an RFI noise from the
street with my HB 3 element yagi and and an aircraft monitor receiver
operating on about 135 Mhz. The power co. guy could not hear the noise
with his multi element yagi and commercial equipment from the street
operating in the UHF range of about 300 or 400 Mhz. Only when he walked
to the back of the property and got within about 50 ft. of the source
could he pick up the could he pick up the signal.
Don
K9MUF

--

David Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com