RFI

Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:31:18 -0800
On Mon,1/12/2015 9:42 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
I'm strongly thinking of going all wireless.

I've been almost exactly that since moving to CA in 2006. The wireless router is in the house, the shack is about 40 ft away. Both buildings are wood frame construction. The only things connected via CAT5 are cables from the router to 1) the cable modem, 2) a computer on the desk next to the router, and 3) a printer next to the computer. There are multi-turn #31 chokes on all of those CAT5 cables, and also on the power supply cables. The power supplies for router and modem are linear wall warts float-charging a sealed lead-acid battery, acting as a UPS for the network. The chokes are there so that I don't hear the Ethernet traffic on the ham bands -- typically around 14,030, 21,063, and the bottom end of 10M and 6M. For 6M, I add two-turn chokes between the HF chokes and the electronics.

I have four computers in the shack (two for radio, two for the remains of my biz), all of them on the network. For RTTY contests, I network two laptops to run SO2R, each dedicated to a radio. Networking works quite well.

73, Jim K9YC