RFI

Re: [RFI] Fair-rite Toroids verses Round Cable Suppression Cores

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fair-rite Toroids verses Round Cable Suppression Cores
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:12:15 -0800
On Thu,2/5/2015 10:55 AM, Wm.Glenn Pearson wrote:
I am in the process of acquiring a supply of type 31 ferrites. Should I
replace my previously purchased toroids with the type 31 equivalent
(2631803802)?

Study my tutorial. k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

The short answers are:

1) Yes, you should. #31 material is significantly better than #43 below 5 MHz, and nearly as good as #43 above 20 MHz. It is one of Fair-Rite's newer materials, first appearing in their catalog around 2003. I tested some of the first #31 toroids around 2004, when they were not yet in the catalog. I suspect, but I am not certain, that they started making the toroids because after testing other #31 parts, I asked for toroids. :)

2) #43 material is a bit cheaper (10-20%) than #31 for the same quantities, but if you buy more pieces of #31, the cost will be about the same as for splitting the order between the two parts. I've done and assisted with several group purchases, and I've always bought only #31 material.

3) Fair-Rite sells #43 toroids both as "suppression" parts, where they specify and control the impedance vs frequency, and as "inductive" parts where they specify and control the inductive behavior at low frequencies where the material is not very lossy. That's why there are two part numbers for #43 toroids. Suppression works BECAUSE the part is lossy, and USES the loss component of the core.

73, Jim K9YC