RFI

Re: [RFI] A request for RFI service.

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] A request for RFI service.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 08:30:13 -0800
Thank you, Dale. I'll go to work on this issue asap.

Trouble is, my normal noise level on 80 is 10 to 20 dB over S-9, and this is
but a small part of it.

Still, if I can knock it down 15 dB at a time, it may be taken care
of...eventually.

vy 73,

Ken

On 6 Feb 2015 at 3:49, dalej wrote:

> Ken,
>
> It's a prickly problem.  I had a dog water dish that was raising heck on 20
> meters.  The dish was heating the water so I never told the guy he had to get
> new water dish because I knew what his answer would be, it works.. So, I
> bought
> a new one for him, problem solved.
>
> In your case the sign might be very expensive so you can rule that out.  A
> couple of possibilities, the letter to the FCC is good, hope you kept a copy,
> in
> fact you should have cc the store owner.  Do you have a city electrical
> inspection department?  If so you could contact them (in person is always
> best)
> and see if they will visit the business and check the sign for electrical
> defects, could save big money if a fire hazard is found, you might become a
> hero, saving businesses from destruction.  Be sure to take your portable radio
> along to demonstrate the noise it's generating, might be arcing inside the
> thing
> somewhere.  If it can be shown the sign is defective the city could issue a
> letter to the store to get it fixed.  Does it generate noise in the AM
> broadcast
> band?  If so it could be hampering people to listen to commercial broadcasts,
> if
> so you could contact the radio stations and tell them I can't hear your
> programming due to a noise problem with a sign at such and such business.
> Attention to the problem might make the store owner a little more nervous and
> just shut the sign down or get a different one.
>
> If the FCC writes a letter that would help, but the store still has to get the
> sign fixed or replaced. This might take a looooooonnng time if they get their
> attorney involved.
>
> Good luck
> 73
> Dale, k9vuj
>

> On 05, Feb 2015, at 20:28, Kenneth G. Gordon <kgordon2006@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of a professional company who does RFI mitigation?
>
> That is, a company that another company could call to come to fix an RFI
> issue?
>
> I have a pharmacy nearby whose "Pharmacy Open" sign, a neon one, causes
> severe RFI interference to my station.
>
> An RFI investigator from our local power company absolutely 100%
> identified the source.
>
> Turning off the sign drops my noise level by 15 dB. The store is around 3
> blocks away.
>
> I contacted the pharmacy, talked with the manager, told her what the
> problem was, and who had found the source, and asked her to get it fixed.
>
> She called the original installer, who came out, looked at it, and told
> her it was all right.
>
> I then filed a complaint with the FCC.
>
> The manager then told me that she knew of no one who was capable of
> [...]

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne