RFI

Re: [RFI] Internet Modem / Router Cable Length and RFI

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, "rfi@contesting.com List" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Internet Modem / Router Cable Length and RFI
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 07:59:05 -0400
Tony,

My experience has been that long CAT5/6 cables do radiate and cause RFI. Mostly it is carriers on numerous HF and VHF frequencies. Any broadband noise has generally turned out to be a "bad" power supply or specific device such as a router or access point.

In order to minimize the problem I keep my modem and router/in-house access point at the same location, connecting them with a one foot CAT5 cable. I do, however, have one 225 foot run of CAT6 going up a tower right into the midst of my antenna farm! It is for a tower mounted access point for a 5.8 mile link to a repeater site. This cable was a major problem. It now has multiple common mode chokes at both ends - some optimized for VHF, some for upper HF, some or lower HF. All other cables (power, internet, etc.) connected to the network are similarly fitted with chokes. This does not completely eliminate the problem but brings it down to a level I can live with considering the benefit of the extended LAN link to my repeater site. I got rid of all the switch mode wall warts that came with network devices. The modem, router, and passive PoE injector for the tower mounted access point are all fed 13.8VDC from an Astron linear supply.

73, Paul