RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI With Smoke Detectors

Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI With Smoke Detectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:21:27 -0700
On Fri,8/21/2015 8:31 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
Have you tested/evaluated the RadioWorks T-4G+ line isolator, or the
similar things from MFJ?

No. Looking at the photo and lack of specs, I wouldn't expect them to work very well.

  I know you recommend many turns around
specific mixes, but I'm curious what the shield impedance is on these.

See my measured data, and method of measurement. k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

The problem with all-band non-resonant antennas fed with open wire line is that it is not practical to choke the feedline effectively. Dean Straw, N6BV (retired ARRL Antenna Book editor), showed this quite clearly at the Pacificon Antenna Forum several years ago. To be effective, the choke must be at the antenna feedpoint, the choke must have a very high RESISTIVE choking Z. The only practical chokes I know of are low impedance lines -- either coax or a short section of parallel wires wound on a toroid.

Close-spaced enameled wire yields 50 ohms, close-spaced THHN (house wire) about 90 ohms. Jerry Sevick published this work 20 years ago, and I've confirmed it in my own lab. Those "all-band wonders" operate with very high VSWR on most (all?) bands, and the resulting mismatch fries any choke that might otherwise be useful.

73, Jim K9YC